Le Grand Syllabus 2016/2017
Required reading : BECKER, Howard (1960) ‘Notes on the Concept of Commitment', American Journal of Sociology, 66 (1), pp. 32-40.
years]” (Asia's advancing role in the global economy, 2016) The continent manages to do so since it develops its infrastructure, attracts multinational corporations, facilitates international trade and enters global supply-chains. Economic growth follows suit and, with increasing tax revenues, massive social welfare programs are launched to reach the poor. However, this “growth triumphalism” (to borrow from Nobel laureate in economics Angus Deaton) is counterbalanced with pressing environmental and social justice issues. Inequalities are rising across the continent ; farmers in peri-urban areas experience land dispossession to allow for industrial development ; soil, air and water pollution reach unprecedented levels ; labor migration towards the economic powerhouses of the continent causes a strain on urban infrastructure and calls for huge investments in urban areas. This workshop seeks to delve into this contrasted state of affairs and to analyze the social and political consequences of Asia's embeddedness in the global economy. We will focus more speciﬁcally on the role played by multinational corporations in these transformations, with a focus on South and South-East Asia. And indeed, with the opening of the economy, the dynamics of trade, production and ﬁnance are set transnationally. Multinational corporations develop global supply chains, encourage competition between territories, abide by global standards and regulations, respond to transnational audiences. In emerging economies, their transnational character and their ﬁnancial power challenges state sovereignty and sets them in a peculiar position : what is their impact on the polity ? Which responsibilities do they carry when investing in poor regions ? To whom are they accountable when human rights issues arise ? Looking at these foreign private actors sheds light on the global dynamics and transnational connections which shape today's global economy. Moreover, it reveals the dilemmas confronting governments and civil society organizations in South and South-East Asia in promoting a human, sustainable development. Required reading : Backer, Larry Cata. “Polycentric Governance in the Transnational Sphere : Pri-
WINTER WORKSHOP : POLITICAL SCIENCE : MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT IN SOUTH ASIA
Semester : Spring Number of hours : 15 Language of tuition : English
Teachers : Swann BOMMIER (PhD, Researcher). Pedagogical format : Seminar Course validation : Participation during the workshop contributes to 30 per cent of the ﬁnal mark. The remaining 70 per cent will depend on an individual essay sent no later than a month after the end of the workshop (3,000 to 4,000 words, including footnotes). Pedagogical method : Every morning, there will be a lecture lasting two hours and a half to three hours where the major theories and academic debates in the ﬁeld will be introduced. Every afternoon, we will split in smaller groups (3 or 4 groups) to work on case studies. Each group will be provided with a set of documents (ethnographic research presented in academic journals, newspaper cuttings, reports by international organizations). Students will read this initial corpus, eventually use the bibliography to look for additional documents and information. At the end of each workshop session, each group will do a 5 minutes presentation to the class to detail the research method used in the articles provided, explain how the research question was framed, how the authors responded to it, which questions it raises, which additional research it calls for. Throughout the lecture and workshop, open discussion and participation will be vividly encouraged. Course Description : In March 2016, Christine Lagarde, the Managing Director of the IMF, addressed a conference in New Delhi and stressed that today, “Asia accounts for 40 per cent of the global economy and […] stands to del