Écoles, masters et doctorats / Schools, Masters and Doctorates / Enseignements / Teachings
Course validation : Structured, in-class assignments constitute 60% of the grade. Given the importance of the classroom exercises and participation, the remainder of the grade (40%) is assigned to these. Workload : Students will be expected to read each week's assignment and to formulate articulate comments and criticisms each session, even when not presenting, so they should expect to spend 2-4 hours outside of class per week preparing for the course. Pedagogical Method : The course will be taught as a special topic seminar, which means that lectures will be supplemented with opportunities for students to engage the material more thoroughly and with in-class discussions and exercises. Additionally, we will consult various media and there will be two invited guests, a political strategist and an actress. Course Description : Throughout history, being able to inﬂuence others has been regarded in many different ways. Plato famously criticized traveling teachers who taught persuasive rhetoric, while today's “inﬂuencers” are highly sought out. In this course, we will consider persuasion in three ways : (1.) by surveying the ancient literature on rhetoric ; (2.) examining the modern, psychological ﬁndings on persuasion and argumentation (3.) and by reﬂecting on the moral implications of persuasion. Throughout, we will evaluate which strategies are most successful and we will consider why they work, paying special attention to whether we are being moved by our emotions, clear and sound reasoning, or some mixture of the two. By the end of the course, students will have been exposed to the primary and most compelling means of persuasion ; they will have a general sense of why they work ; and they will have practiced applying them. Required reading : The course readings will consist of texts and articles that are jointly drawn from philosophy, psychology, cognitive science, and marketing domains. Students are expected to complete the short reading assignments before each class meeting. These are detailed on the syllabus. In addition, there are supplementary texts that are recommended but not required. In order of importance, the primary of these are : Robert Cialdini, Inﬂuence : The Psychology of Persuassion ; Daniel Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow ; George Akerloff and Robert Shiller, Phishing for Phools ; Richard Nisbett, Mindware.
TOOLKIT FOR PRIVATE EQUITY (A)
Semester : Autumn Number of hours : 12 Language of tuition : English
Opened to the exchange program
Teachers : Henri TOPIOL (Directeur, Monteﬁore Investment). Prerequisite : Knowledge of corporate ﬁnance, strategy, and law is required, as well as a strong interest in ﬁnancial news. Work experience in a ﬁnance-related environment (auditing, banking, business or tax law, consulting) is a plus. Pedagogical Format : Elective Course validation : Credits : 2. Continuous assessment grade. Workload : Workload for participants will mainly consist of : research and presentations on selected class topics ; preparation and presentation of case studies ; in-class participation. Pedagogical Method : 6 seminars of 2h (12h). The six classes will be based on a mix of : presentations on selected technical elements of an LBO transaction ; case studies based on actual Private Equity transactions ; external speakers with deep knowledge of various aspects of Private Equity. Course Description : Through bull and bear markets, Private Equity has emerged as a signiﬁcant asset class, with funds under management growing from a few billion dollars at the beginning of the 90's to over 2 trillion dollars today. Private Equity has thus developed into a complex and diversiﬁed industry, ranging from niche venture capital funds to global multi-billion investment ﬁrms. Required reading : Richard A. Brealey and Stewart C. Myers, Principles of Corporate Finance ; Daily economic press.
TOOLS FOR CREATING BRAND PREFERENCE
Semester : Autumn Number of hours : 1