Collège universitaire / Undergraduate Program / Enseignements / Teachings
main African institutions, notion(s) of governance and alternative methods of dispute settlement developed in this region, looking at examples of legal integrations, coexistence with customary authorities, state-building processes as well as judicial and constitutional evolutions. For teaching purposes, the course is divided into three units. Unit 1 aims at introducing students to the main conceptual, theoretical, and analytical frameworks (sessions 1, 2, 3). Unit 2 (sessions 4, 5, 6, 7) evaluates the role of law and individuals' lived legal experiences in fostering social changes. It addresses some deﬁnitional challenges in light of the structures of social relationships and belief systems that operate in different Sub-Saharan normative settings. The course further explores the main institutional frameworks, legal and judicial evolutions at state, regional and international levels, and their implications regarding international standards, African legal orders and peoples (unit 3 : sessions, 8, 9, 10, 11). Required reading : No compulsory reading. A reader will be provided at the beginning of the semester. Teachers : Zsoﬁa BARANY (Professeur-chercheur à Sciences Po), Zydney WONG. Prerequisite : The Introduction to Economics course covering fundamental themes in macroeconomics is a pre-requisite for this course. Pedagogical Format : Seminar Course validation : The evaluation consists of 2 group assignments to be handed in during the term, a midterm and ﬁnal exam during the semester. Course Description : This is a second year undergraduate course in macroeconomics, which is designed for students who have a deeper interest in macroeconomics. The course will present and analyse important macroeconomic theories through formal models. We will also look at some examples of empirical work, which illustrate the ways that theories can be applied and tested. Some of the topics we will cover are : growth, business cycles, consumption, unemployment, ﬁscal policy and budget deﬁcits. The course will largely follow Williamson's Macroeconomics textbook (Prentice Hall). As part of the coursework students are asked to download, clean, visualize and analyze data for a country of their choice. Required reading : Stephen D. Williamson & Anisha Sharma : Macroeconomics : International Edition, 5th Edition.
Semester : Autumn Number of hours : 34 Language of tuition : English
Teachers : Oliver CASSAGNEAU-FRANCIS (Doctorant), Eduardo PEREZ (Professor at Sciences Po). Prerequisite : Basic Calculus and Probability Theory : equations, derivatives, optimization problems, probabilities and expected values Pedagogical Format : Seminar Course validation : There will be 3 to 5 problem sets, which will count for 40% of the grade, and a ﬁnal exam, which will count for the remaining 60% Course Description : The course complements the ﬁrst year microeconomics course. It takes an institution-free approach to economics, in which we start from usual economic problems, try to understand the basic tensions at work, and derive institutions as possibly constrained solutions to these problems. In the process, we introduce the basic ideas of social choice, game theory, and mechanism design. Required reading : The main textbook : Microeconomics, Eighth Edition. Robert S. Pindyck ; Daniel L. Rubinfeld. Pearson. 2013.
THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY AND THE TROUBLED MIDDLE EAST
Semester : Spring Number of hours : 24 Language of tuition : English
Teachers : Pierre THENARD (Directeur des relations internationales, Ecole Nationale d'Administration). Pedagogical Format : Elective Course Description : Whatever is meant by “Middle East”, traditionally deﬁned as the region extending from Egypt to Iran, or more recently, after the 9/11 attacks, as a « Broader Middle East » from Morocco to Afghanistan and Pakistan, this part of the world has always been described as dominated by external actors : European imperial powers, esp